Sacrament Parent/Student Information Night
On Tuesday night, the students who are preparing for Reconciliation and First Holy Communion attended the Parent/Child Workshop. Thank you to Mrs O’Malley for organising the night and a special thank you to Mildred and Carmel from Catholic Education Western Australia for running the event. It was a great night and wonderful to see parents and students working together to deepen their understanding of the sacraments that the students will celebrate later in the year.
Interschool Swimming Carnival
The Interschool Swimming Carnival was held on Friday, 3 March. It was a huge success with the school value of sportsmanship evident throughout the entire carnival. A big thank you to Mrs Criddle for organising a successful carnival. Thank you to all the parents and our ex-students who volunteered to help. Without your generous support, we would be unable to have carnivals such as these. Congratulations to Merredin College for winning the overall shield and to St Mary’s for winning the handicap shield.
On Wednesday, 1 March, the school joined the St Mary’s Parish to celebrate Ash Wednesday. This event signifies the beginning of the Season of Lent, which is the season of penance, reflection and fasting, which prepares us for Christ’s Resurrection on Easter Sunday. The ashes symbolise the dust from which God
Preparing for Lent
Lent in 2017 will start on Wednesday, the 1st of March and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 15th of April. Please join us for our Ash Wednesday Mass, presented by the Year 6 class, on Wednesday, 1st March, 9am.
Ideas for preparing you family for Lent:
• Figure out what you’re “giving up“. (Even though “giving something up” for Lent is traditional, you can also do extra stuff too, such as saying extra prayers, going to Adoration, or attending daily Mass.)
• Lenten countdown calendar of some kind (There are infinite ways to count down the 40 days of lent. You could print my calendar, make a paper chain, count almsgiving pennies, use a crown of thorns– seriously endless possibilities!)
• Ash Wednesday plans (Ash Wednesday is a great day to attend Mass as a family!)
• Go to Reconciliation (Check your church’s schedule and put it on the calendar.)
• Go shopping for meatless-meal groceries and simple foods (Obviously don’t eat meat on Fridays during lent or on Ash Wednesday).
• Pray the Rosary (Especially the sorrowful mysteries during Lent)
• Put out “decorations” for Lent such as putting a crucifix more centrally located in your home, extra crosses, etc.
Follow us on Twitter
St Mary's School now has a Twitter feed which is great news. Please follow us on Twitter by searching @StMarysMerredin and you will be able to keep up to date with the latest news from St Mary's School. Otherwise you can see what is on Twitter by viewing our Twitter Feed on this web page.
Enrolling Now 2017
St Mary’s School prides itself on providing a quality Catholic Education. We value families and community and together we aim to provide our students with the skills, morals and values to contribute fully to the world in which we belong.
If you and your child are interested in being part of the St Mary’s School community in 2017, please phone 90411907 for all enrolment enquiries or visit our School Enrolment Page.
Click here for details