Preparing for Lent
Lent in 2017 will start on Wednesday, the 1st of March and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 15th of April. Please join us for our Ash Wednesday Mass, presented by the Year 6 class, on Wednesday, 1st March, 9am.
Ideas for preparing you family for Lent:
• Figure out what you’re “giving up“. (Even though “giving something up” for Lent is traditional, you can also do extra stuff too, such as saying extra prayers, going to Adoration, or attending daily Mass.)
• Lenten countdown calendar of some kind (There are infinite ways to count down the 40 days of lent. You could print my calendar, make a paper chain, count almsgiving pennies, use a crown of thorns– seriously endless possibilities!)
• Ash Wednesday plans (Ash Wednesday is a great day to attend Mass as a family!)
• Go to Reconciliation (Check your church’s schedule and put it on the calendar.)
• Go shopping for meatless-meal groceries and simple foods (Obviously don’t eat meat on Fridays during lent or on Ash Wednesday).
• Pray the Rosary (Especially the sorrowful mysteries during Lent)
• Put out “decorations” for Lent such as putting a crucifix more centrally located in your home, extra crosses, etc.
First P&F Meeting
On Monday we held our first P&F meeting for the year. I was very encouraged with the amount of parents who attended and I thank them all for being a part of the P&F. Some items that were discussed were: Parent Welcome Picnic and Parent Information Evening; the P&F vision for 2017 and the role of class reps; organising a cyber safety talk for parents; 2017 footy tipping; St Mary’s 90th Anniversary; St Mary’s 2017 School Fete; Future of the Canteen and change of Coordinator; Faction Swimming Carnival. Once again thank you to all parents who attended this meeting. To read the minutes please use the link to the right of this page.
Follow us on Twitter
St Mary's School now has a Twitter feed which is great news. Please follow us on Twitter by searching @StMarysMerredin and you will be able to keep up to date with the latest news from St Mary's School. Otherwise you can see what is on Twitter by viewing our Twitter Feed on this web page.
Enrolling Now 2017
St Mary’s School prides itself on providing a quality Catholic Education. We value families and community and together we aim to provide our students with the skills, morals and values to contribute fully to the world in which we belong.
If you and your child are interested in being part of the St Mary’s School community in 2017, please phone 90411907 for all enrolment enquiries or visit our School Enrolment Page.
Click here for details